Wejchert Architects have been appointed as lead consultant for the refurbishment Works to the Sanctuary of the Cathedral including Alteration of Reredos, Removal of Existing Fixtures and Fittings (albeit modern insertions) and Commissioning of New Replacements.
The Cathedral of the Assumption was built in 1827 – 37 on a hill overlooking Tuam, and was the second Roman Catholic Cathedral (after Newry) to be built in Ireland after Catholic Emancipation. The Irish Gothic Revival exterior is built of limestone with buttresses, elaborate window tracery, pinnacles, outstanding stained glass windows, and a variety of crisply carved stone embellishments. The Cathedral is the Cathedral Church of the Archdiocese of Tuam, and is of huge significance for the people of the 55 parishes of the Archdiocese and beyond. The Cathedral is also the parish church of Tuam Parish, which is composed of three church-areas, urban and rural. The Cathedral is listed on the current Register of Protected Structures of the Local Authority Galway County Council (Reg.No.32).