The brief for the new Kildare Community School was for a school to accommodate 1000 pupils plus 56 staff car parking for 75 cars, 6 Ballcourts and a playing field all within the allocated site. It is a centre of excellence for education and the community in general. It’s design facilitates and encourages learning and also encourages community participation mainly during out of school hours.
The site is regular in shape and is located out of town on the Dunmurray Road with residential development across the road to the east, a cemetery to the south and agricultural lands to the south, west and north. The new Kildare Community School is an amalgamation of three existing schools namely, St. Josephs Academy, Presentation Secondary School, Kildare and Kildare Vocational School.
The school design has been developed on the basis of arranging all accommodation around a large courtyard. It presents a compact and well thought through scheme that can evolve over time as pedagogies and educational requirements change and pupil numbers expand.